Did you move your Joomla installation and password doesn’t work or did you forget your Joomla admin password?
Change the Password in the Database.
If the admin user is still defined, the simplest option is to change the password in the database to a known value. This requires that you have access to the MySQL database using phpMyAdmin.
- Navigate to phpMyAdmin and select the database for the Joomla! site in the left-hand drop-down list box. This will show the database tables on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the table “jos_users” in the list of tables.
- Click on the “Browse” button in the top toolbar. This will show all of the users that are set up for this site.
- Find the user whose password you want to change and press the Edit icon for this row.
- A form will display that allows you to edit the password field. Copy the value:
into the password field and press the Go button. phpMyAdmin should display the message “Affected rows: 1”. At this point, the password should be changed to “secret“.
- Log in with this user and password (secret) and change the password of this user to a secure value. Check all of the users using the User Manager to make sure they are legitimate. If you have been hacked, you may want to change all of the passwords on the site.